Zoo2U are recruiting for a part time Animal Keeper/Presenter, working 2 to 3 days per week. We are looking for a confident, outgoing, passionate and experienced individual to join our small but growing friendly company/team. This position may lead to a full time contract.
Zoo2U is a family run business with a heart for outreach into the local community. Our mission is to ‘Interact, Educate and Inspire’ with all those we come into contact with. Zoo2U has hand picked a unique collection of exotic animals, which in turn create a varied adaptable team suitable for all occasions.
The animals are all friendly and are comfortable interacting with humans, which means that Zoo2U can offer a unique hands-on animal encounter.
Zoo2U offers close encounters with exotic animals and tailor their experiences to meet educational school curriculum requirements, while offering kids clubs, children’s parties, fairs and fetes, therapy for special needs and even corporate events!
You will have a relevant animal related qualification and at least two years experience in the zoological industry. You must have presented talks/demonstrations to audiences of varying ages and abilities. You will be dedicated and passionate about animal welfare and be willing to represent the company to a very high standard. You will hold a current clean driving licence and be able to use both a manual and automatic vehicle.
Your tasks will include daily husbandry tasks for our diverse range of animals. You will use a variety of methods to enrich and stimulate the animals in your care. You will ensure best practice and compliance with health and safety regulations. You will always strive to improve zoo management standards. You will have a minimum of 2 years working within the zoo industry, ideally with practical knowledge of reptiles, birds and mammals. You will be expected to give public talks to a high standard and keep detailed animal records. You will be hard working, physically fit, enthusiastic and reliable. You will be an excellent timekeeper and have a keen eye for detail. You will already put animal welfare at the centre of everything you do. You will be required to be a team player, however, you may also find yourself working alone on some days. You will be required to expand the services offered by Zoo2U, through suggesting new idea's and working closely with the management team to ensure the ideas become a reality. This position would suit someone who is keen to advance their career, with potential progression into a full time role.
- Daily animal husbandry
- Maintenance of animal enclosures/public areas
- Public presentations at a variety of outreach and therapy events/sessions
- Liaising with veterinarians
- Daily monitoring of animal health and well being, and administering preventative / curative treatment
- Relevant qualification(s)
- Public speaking skills
- Organisational skills
- Clean driving license
- Knowledge of manual record keeping
- Minimum 2 years’ industry experience.
At least one of the following:
- Practical knowledge/experience of husbandry techniques for a variety of Reptiles, including lizards, tortoises and non-venomous snakes
- Practical knowledge/experience of husbandry techniques for a variety of mammals, including hedgehogs, tenrecs, skunks, meerkats
- Practical knowledge/experience of husbandry techniques for a variety of birds, including parrots, raptors and kingfishers
- Teaching qualifications
- First aider
- Current CRB/DBS
- Falconry experience
Please apply in writing enclosing a full CV and covering letter.
This role will be closed when the suitable candidate is found.